Interesting facts from 60 years of PSP
••Wednesday•, 18 •March• 2009 23:18•

 

Our Logo

The logo of Visual Arts Studio is an artistic reference to a shape of a palette. Edward PIWOWARSKI, a sculptor, prepared for us a statuette of PSP Siren holding a palette with stylized lettering of the Company. After some time the palette transformed into an official trademark, popular “PSP Cheese”.

PSP Siren 1.A stamp with „PSP Cheese”, which was used for stamping all designes prepared in our Company

 

Our Make

In recognition of Visual Arts Studio achievements the Company was invited to an Elite circle of Founding Members of Akademia Marek, together with 85 top Polish economic subjects. Nominations awarding took place in Teatr Wielki in Warsaw, and all Laureates were given academic statuettes in the Salt Mine in Wieliczka.

Eugeniusz Galimski receiving a nomination from Jerzy Buzek, the Prime Minister. Teatr Wielki, Warsaw Membership certificate of Akademia Marek A statuette of a member of Akademia Marek designed by prof. Bohdan Chmielewski 1.A ceremony in the Salt Mine in Wieliczka. PSP representatives Eugeniusz Galimski and Paweł Montewka with the author of the statuette, Bohdan Chmielewski and the Master of Ceremony

 

Economic Award of the President of RP

In 1988 the President of the Republic of Poland, Aleksander Kwaśniewski, entrusted Visual Arts Studio with designing and making of his Economic Award.
The 25-kilogramme award was in a form of a diploma placed on a stone plinth. The base was made of green quality marble mined from a deposit in Greece. On a front sloping wall there is a slab coated with 24-karat gold. The slab has the measurements of 30x40 cm, an engraved text and the silvered National Emblem which can be placed on the slab. The text was made with the use of a specially designed stately typeface.
The award was accompanied by two types of diplomas, made by us – for Nominees and Prizewinners, typographically printed on handmade Arche cardboards with the use of a unique Roesner typeface with hand typesetting.
Diplomas covers were bound in calfskin in a cherry colour with en embossed Emblem in a gold colour, and they were lined inside with damask. The award called “Gospodarczy Oscar” was given annually in the years 1988-2005 to the best institutions of Polish economy.

Economic Award of the President of RP Aleksander Kwaśniewski, the President of RP, with Jerzy Mackiewicz, the Chapter Secretary and Eugeniusz Galimski, the Chairman of PSP Poznań 2004 Aleksander Kwaśniewski, the President of RP with Chapter Members, Nominees and Prizewinners of the 7th edition The President’s thanks to PSP for cooperation in all editions of the Competition

 

 

Homo Varsoviensis

People who rendered great service to Warsaw were given “HOMO VARSOVIENSIS” award by “Stolica” weekly magazine. The award went among others to Halina Auderska, Elżbieta Barszczewska, Mieczysław Fogg, Juliusz W. Gomulicki, Marek Kwiatkowski, Bronisław Wieczorkiewicz, Stefan Wiech-Wiechecki, Andrzej Zahorski. The award was in a form of a Warsaw Siren statuette made by outstanding sculptors: Alina Szapocznikow, Antoni Ślęzak, Kazimierz Danilewicz and Stanisław Sikora. Since October 2002 the Award for the Warsaw Man of the Year is given by editorial staff of “Życie Warszawy”. The award is funded by Visual Arts Studio and the Siren statuette is designed by an outstanding artist Magdalena Dobrucka.

Siren of „Życie Warszawy” /M. Dobrucka/

 

Nike

In December 1960 there was an adjudication of the 2nd competition for the monument commemorating war martyrization of Warsaw. The winner was a graduate of Sculpture Department of the Academy of Fine Arts in Cracow, Marian KONIECZNY with a team. The preparations lasted more than 5 years and they were related to exceptionally numerous corrections of ideological nature. The artist prepared a model for casting in the sculpture hall of PSP at Finlandzka Street. For sculpting a face of “Nike the Victorious” M. Konieczny used as a model a daughter of the then Director of TRM Studio – 11-year-old Ania TARCZYŃSKA. The monument was unveiled in July 1964 by J. Cyrankiewicz, the Prime Minister.

A miniature of the Monument for Warsaw Heroes 1939 – 1945 by Marian Konieczny, commonly known as „Warsaw Nike”. While preparing a plaster cast of the monument in our studio in 1963 the author used as a model a daughter of the Director of the Sculpture Studio, Ania Tarczyńska Transport of a fragment of the monument for the assembly Monument unveiling in the presence of J. Cyrankiewicz, the Prime Minister Monument of Nike

 

The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

In 1990 the Ministry of Defence invited our Company to take part in a renovation of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Warsaw. The team of tombstone carvers from the Sculpture Studio of PSP under a direction of Mieczysław Borys, Stanisław Michalik and Kazimierz Niedzielski and in accordance with prewar designs prepared plaques with the names of the towns connected with the battles for Sovereign Poland. Among other things they restored the names of battle fields from the years 1919 – 1920.

The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier after 2nd World War in 1945 The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier – one of the renovated plaques Workers from the Warsaw KAMBUD while installing the plaques on the archs of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier after renovation